Wednesday, July 6, 2011

You Eat What??

I get lots of questions regarding the foods that I eat, or don't eat, as is usually the case.  So, for all of you curious kitties out there. This is what you've been waiting for.

About 7 months ago I was watching Rachael Ray and there was a guest that was explaining how much sugar we Americans consume everyday. I was more than a little annoyed with this guy, thinking that there was no way that I could possibly be eating too much sugar. (I don't really have a sweet tooth, I'm more of a salty kinda' gal)  I started doing some research and realized that there is 4 grams of sugar per 9 crackers in my precious Wheat Thins! AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!

Once I recovered from the shock! I found that all of my other so called "Salty" snacks had a ton of sugar as well.  This was just the tip of the iceburg....

I started looking at some of the other ingredients in my pantry and found that the majority of the stuff in there was chock-full of corn bi-products and fillers. Even our bread! One article I read made the relation of feeding corn to livestock to fatten them quickly and I thought, "Yes, that's what we do..."
And remember way back a few years ago, when there was controversey over "Trans fats" or Tri-glycerides?? Well, now pre-packaged food has Mono-di-glycerides in it to replace the Tri-glycerides...

(Mono)1+(Di) 2= (Tri)3

Do you see how they got around that one?? (If not, don't beat yourself up, just email me privatley =P  )
By this point in my search, I was ready to eat only salad for the rest of my life and never go to Meijer again   BUT  as you can imagine, that's just not feasable.

Fast foward to July 2011,
We now eat mostly natural foods. I try not to buy products with long ingredient lists. I stay away from refined sugars and white flour. If we eat chocolate, it's dark, with a high cocoa content. Our eggs and meat come from our farm, so I know exactly what goes in the animals.  We drink mostly water and teas. (except for the hubs) and we eat a TON of fruits and veggies from the garden! We try and eat as "Cleanly" as possible.

Here are some of the sites that will help you understand a little better:

Clean Eating Magazine

The Gracious Pantry

Clean Eating Onlne

It's not an easy thing to do...Most packaged foods are not made to be good for you. I like to think of it this way 
"When you go to the store, think about your grocery cart as a car and the food as gasoline. The food you put in the cart should be the type that is going to get you to your destination, not broken down on the side of the road!"   ~Healthy Heather

So now you know. You probably have more questions now than you did before I started. Either way, I hope you'll think about what you put into your body.

 God made us as a temple for the Holy Spirit.
Take care of yourself!
Sarah

1 comment:

  1. EXCELLENT. I am going to use those links you posted. Actually, I got onto your blog today JUST to get your wheat things recipe and VIOLA! I have more recipes to check out now!
    Love ya! :0)

    ReplyDelete

Your Comments Make My Day! I always look foward to reading them! Thanks!